The University Grants Commission (UGC) recently approved a proposal which is of great advantage to the PhD scholars.
Now PhD research period is also teaching experience: UGC
A period spent on acquiring a PhD degree without any leave will now be counted as teaching experience of candidates applying for direct recruitment to vacant positions of faculties or promotion in the higher educational institutions.
“The period of active service spent on pursuing a research degree, i.e, for acquiring PhD degree simultaneously without taking any kind of leave may be counted as a teaching experience for the purpose of direct recruitment/promotion to the post of associate professor and above.” the commission decided.
The commission’s decision was seen in the academic circles as an effort to primarily facilitate filling up of posts lying vacant in large numbers across the country’s universities and other higher educational institutions.
Many of the universities and other higher educational institutions demand at least two to three years teaching experience for recruitment to vacant posts of faculties.
“We have a large number of unemployed meritorious PhD holders. The decision to treat the period spent by them in acquiring a PhD degree as teaching experience will not only open doors of employment to many of such degree holders, but also facilitate institutions fill up their teaching positions lying vacant for years,” official sources said.
Source: Official Notification
Other News from DBT you might be interested:
- DBT-Biotech Industrial Training Programme 2017-2018
- Good News for all Indian BioTech Students, Scholars & Researchers by DBT
- Roadmap towards $100 bn Biotech Industry | DBT India
- DBT Allocates 10pc of Its Annual Budget for Biotech Activities in North-East
- “Brucella Free Villages” is what DBT Govt. of India to make every Indian village.
- Technology on rice fortification with Iron for anaemia by DBT & IIT Kharagpur.
- Good News for all Indian Researchers by DST